-Sold out- A Celebration of Strawberries & The Summer Solstice, June 20-22
This June 20-22, we invite you to join us for a Celebration of Strawberries and The Summer Solstice in East Hampton with Susan Spungen and Yossy Arefi.
We will gather at Susan’s light-filled home in Long Island to bake, harvest, share farm fresh meals, and enjoy the best strawberries Summer has to offer. The workshop will kick off with a welcome dinner in the garden at Susan’s home in Amagansett. Thursday morning we will meet at a local farm to pick strawberries that we will turn into all sorts of sweet and savory treats over the course of the workshop.
After we’ve all stained our fingertips red from picking strawberries, we will head back to Susan’s home to enjoy a seasonal lunch together. Susan will demo her famous Strawberry Brita Cake (a beautiful and delicious Scandinavian meringue cake), and we will all have some hands-on time making meringue.
We will also have a brief photography lesson where we will share our top social media tips for those who are interested, and a bit of afternoon free time. The group will head to the beach (weather permitting) nearby for a picnic dinner and bonfire to celebrate the summer solstice. Dress warmly just in case!
Friday we will start the day with breakfast at Susan’s and a visit to Quail Hill Farm to pick vegetables to add to the day’s lunch. Yossy will demonstrate her favorite jam techniques and each participant will get a jar to take home. We will also spill our strawberry shortcake secrets and everyone will have hands-on time making biscuits and cream to enjoy for dessert. We will share a seasonal lunch together then send you off on your way, hearts and bellies full.
- Cooking and Baking Lessons - We will each demonstrate some of our very favorite ways to use strawberries in sweet and savory dishes. You will receive one-on-one instruction from each of us.
- Farm Visits - We will visit a local pick-your-own strawberry patch for perfect flavorful berries, and stop by Quail Hill Farm for greens and herbs to work into our meals.
- Fresh Seasonal Meals - We will gather together around the table for many meals and snacks along the way all made from fresh local ingredients.
- Photography and Styling - While this isn’t a photography workshop specifically, we will all want to share our creations so we’ll spend a bit of time photographing our beautiful work to share and Susan and Yossy will share their top tips.
All skill levels are welcome. This will be a perfect opportunity to enjoy June in the Hamptons with some like-minded folks and celebrate the solstice.
Transportation to the workshop and lodging is not included. We have identified a few local hotels and inns for the weekend. See list below.
2+ days of baking, cooking, tasting, harvesting, learning
Number of participants:
Please be sure you can attend before booking. All payments are non-refundable. We reserve the right to cancel the workshop based on low attendance. In this case all payments will be refunded. This will be determined 3 weeks before the date of the workshop.
- Two (2) lunches, two (2) dinners, one (1) breakfast, and snacks and drinks along the way
- Baking lessons and ingredients
- Farm visits
- Jam to take home
- Welcome gifts!
What's not included:
- Transportation to and from the workshop
- Lodging during the workshop
- Meals when you’re not with the group
- Any activities or items not listed above
- We have arranged with Gansett Green Manor (273 Main St 631-267-3133) to offer our guests their off season rate for the 20-21. Just mention Susan when you make your reservation. Gansett Green Manor is in the center of town and walking distance from LIRR station or Hampton Jitney stop, 2 night minimum, but may be flexible. Perfect for two people traveling together as they have many suites. Charming property
- 434 on Main (434 Main St. 631-604-5765) A Bed and Breakfast in town, which is walking distance from LIRR station or Hampton Jitney stop, 2 night minimum)
- East Hampton House (226 Pantigo Road, 631-324-4300) Please note, this location is not within walking distance of town, so you will need a car.
- If you are looking for a super luxurious getaway, there is also The Inn at Windmill Lane (23 Windmill Lane 631-267-8500) $$$
- AirBnB or VRBO Many local options available.
Note: If you do not have a car, we will shuttle folks to and from events if you are staying in the town of Amagansett. Susan’s home is 5 minutes from the center of Amagansett (Uber is also available).